Representative Peter Welch today announced the hiring of two Vermonters for positions in his Washington and Vermont offices. Brent Raymond, a Swanton native and Williston resident, will join Welch s Vermont office as Business Liaison. Julia Drost, a Brownsville native and University of Vermont graduate, will join Welch s Washington office as Staff Assistant. I m pleased to welcome these outstanding Vermonters to our team. Brent and Julia both bring valuable experience and an understanding of the state that will be an asset to our office and to the Vermonters we serve, Welch said.A native of Swanton, Brent Raymond joins Rep. Welch s office as Business Liaison after 10 years in Vermont s financial services sector. Raymond was a vice president of TD Banknorth Wealth Management Group and subsequently worked as a Vermont-based financial advisor for Merrill Lynch. He served in the US Air Force for four years, earning several medals and commendations, and later served in both the Vermont Air National Guard and the Vermont Army National Guard. A Summa Cum Laude graduate of Hunter College, Brent graduated with a double major in history and an honors interdisciplinary studies program. Raymond lives in Williston with his wife, Leyla, and their one-year-old son, Brodyn.Julia Drost, previously an intern in Rep. Welch s Washington office, has been hired as staff assistant. Drost, who grew up in Brownsville and attended Windsor High School, graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Vermont in 2008. Drost previously served as a Student Conservation Association National Park Congressional Fellow and has held internships with Vermont Business Magazine and Sen. Bernie Sanders.
continue reading » How many people attend your credit union or bank’s strategic planning session? Ten? Twelve? More? Regardless of the number of voices, have you ever paused to really consider just how many are actually heard?By “heard” I mean people that, either on their own or at the prompting of others, take the time to speak out and make their opinions heard.If yours is like a lot of other financial institutions, it’s likely that not everyone attending your strategic planning sessions actually speaks up. Some people are just naturally softer spoken. Some groups have a single dominant voice that takes over. Others are simply bored.A key component for strategic planning success at any credit union or bank is that all voices at the table are encouraged and heard. There are just too many critical conversations that need to be had in this new decade in order to keep your organization from becoming irrelevant. ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Google LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Linkedin Log in with your social account Forgot Password ? Booksellers in Kenari Market continue to struggle to sell their books amid Jakarta’s lack of interest in reading and the rise of e-books and online shops, almost a year after the Jakarta administration opened the affordable book market in Central Jakarta.Lena, a 50-year-old bookseller, seemed bored sitting on her chair at her book stall at Kenari market on Monday. She had been waiting for customers to buy her books for over two hours, but no one had visited her store.She said that selling books at the market was the toughest period of her more than 30-year career as a bookseller. Lena – who used to sell books at the nearby, more popular Pasar Senen – reminisced about a time when she was able to sell up to 50 books a day before she moved to Kenari.“The market has been lacking visitors ever since it began operation in April of last year. The last ti… Facebook Topics : Book #books reading-habit affordable-books #Jakarta-book-market Kenari-book-market #Kenari-book-market Kenari-market #kenari-market
The committee of Indonesia’s top-tier volleyball league, Proliga, has decided to limit interactions between athletes, supporters and journalists during this year’s competition over concerns about the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.Proliga 2020 is set to proceed with its second leg at the GOR C-Tra Arena in Bandung, starting on Friday and running until Sunday, and is expected to attract large crowds of spectators.Supporters and journalists were therefore expected to follow certain procedures to enter the arena and comply with certain restrictions throughout the matches, Proliga 2020 committee head Tachyan Iskandar said. “The players will also be restricted in their contacts with supporters,” Tachyan said in a press briefing on Thursday.He said that the restriction was suggested by the government and announced by the Indonesian Volleyball Association (PBVSI).Read also: Table tennis world team championships postponed over virusThe association had also suggested the committee provide hand sanitizers at several locations in the arena and to install thermal scanners at the entrance gate, Tachyan said, although he admitted that the scanners were difficult to obtain. The Proliga committee was also required to provide a minimum of four changing rooms for the competing teams, he added.Ayi Subarna, the manager of BJB Tandamata, the Bandung women’s team, said its members had been made aware of the COVID-19 precautionary measures, which included a procedure for all competing teams to be immediately brought to their respective changing rooms — which had limited access and were equipped with antiseptic cleaners — every time they arrived at the venue.BJB Tandamata had also cancelled the participation of a player from China and replaced her with a Brazilian athlete, Dayse Cristine de Oliveira Figueiredo.The team’s captain, Aprilia Manganang, said the measures would not affect their performance, adding that her team would still work hard to earn points and entertain supporters.The precautionary measures were introduced after Indonesia confirmed its first two COVID-19 cases on March 2, raising public concerns of a further spread of the coronavirus, which first emerged in Wuhan city of China in late December, in the archipelago.Read also: Indonesia switches focus to Tokyo Olympics after ASEAN Para Games postponed due to coronavirusAuthorities around the world, including in Indonesia’s capital Jakarta, have ordered limits to events that attract large crowds as part of the efforts to contain the virus, which has spread to at least 76 countries and infected almost 100,000 people to date.Many have also warned against shaking hands to prevent possible infection.The second leg of Proliga 2020 is to be a reunion for last year’s two women’s team finalists, Jakarta PGN Popsivo Polwan and Jakarta Pertamina Energi, as well as the men’s team titleholder Surabaya Bhayangkara Semator and last season’s finalist, Jakarta BNI 46.Proliga deputy director Reginald Nelwan said that each team would perform with their best players, including their foreign players, to secure a position in the final. Topics :
Since last week, the head of the government’s human rights agency has been forced to work out of different offices due to the protests.More than 70,000 people have been reported missing in Mexico since the country’s military was deployed in 2006 to confront organized crime. Most are believed to have been kidnapped by armed criminal groups.Meanwhile, murders of women because of their gender, categorized as femicides, have risen more than 5% during the first half of this year from the same period last year. Feminist activists and family members of the missing ramped up a protest at the main offices of Mexico’s human rights commission on Monday, after occupying the building last week to draw attention to kidnapped persons and attacks targeting women.The activists, mostly masked women, defaced office signs with hammers, pinned up banners and painted slogans on walls late last week, angry with what they decry as insufficient government action to root out the crimes, most of which go either uninvestigated or unsolved by the country’s weak justice system.Their anger intensified on Monday after leftist President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador chided the activists earlier in the day for defacing images of Francisco Madero, an assassinated former president revered by many as a hero of the country’s 1910-1920 revolution. “Those who damage the image of Madero, or don’t know his history, are doing so unconsciously, or are themselves conservative,” Lopez Obrador told reporters at his regular morning news conference, stressing that he sympathizes with the activists but opposes vandalism.In response, the protesters daubed paint on portraits of more historic figures.Standing in front of one of the painted-over portraits, one feminist activist denounced Lopez Obrador for what she described as his misplaced sense of outrage.”How can you get outraged about this picture, but not about how my own daughter was abused?” she shouted, banging her hand against the canvas, in a video broadcast by Mexican media outlet Animal Politico. Topics :
There is growing concern that food products sold online that do not comply with health and safety regulations may pose a risk to the online shopping boom during the COVID-19 outbreak, according to a researcher with the Center of Indonesian Policy Studies (CIPS).Felippa Amanta, the head of research at CIPS, said on Tuesday that the challenge of maintaining food safety for products bought online was also related to weak monitoring in the market and a lack of traceability.“One study found that 35 percent of processed foods on ecommerce platforms did not have a permit or the required food labeling,” Felippa said in a virtual discussion. “This causes concern because if the food is not registered, it tends to have a higher risk related to food safety.” Of more than 23,000 samples of both registered and unregistered food products, half of the unregistered ones failed to meet food safety standards, said Felippa, quoting 2019 data from the Food and Drug Monitoring Agency (BPOM). Of the registered products, only 14 percent did not meet the standards.“The complicated process of obtaining permits also hinders food sellers from registering because sometimes this process takes quite a significant amount of time and money, especially for small businesses,” Felippa said.The pandemic has accelerated consumers’ shift to online shopping during the health crisis. According to the Global Consumer Insights Survey 2020 by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), 69 percent of Indonesian respondents stated that they were buying more groceries online following the implementation of social restrictions to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.Read also: Retailers embrace consumers’ shift to online channels Rosel Lavina, the vice president of corporate affairs for the food ecosystem at ride-hailing firm Gojek, said the company’s food delivery service GoFood had booked a 20 percent increase in transactions since the beginning of the pandemic in March, partly propelled by the rise in micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) in the food and beverages industry.During the pandemic, 94 percent of new merchants partnering with Gojek were micro enterprises, said Rosel, quoting a recent study by the Demography Institute at the University of Indonesia. Of the total of the newly partnered merchants, 43 percent were new entrepreneurs.“They [new culinary MSMEs] have two tasks right now. First, how they develop their business, and second, how their products can earn trust regarding hygiene and safety,” said Rosel.Rosel also said Gojek prepared 130 posts across the cities within the company’s operational reach to provide its partnering drivers with safety kits and disinfectant spray for their motorbikes to minimize the risk of coronavirus transmission. In addition, the company has also issued new instructions advising merchants to improve their food packaging.BPOM issued in April Regulation No. 8/2020 on the monitoring of food and medicine circulating online. The regulation, which came into force in July, requires both sellers and platforms to ensure that food products have a food label, which includes ingredients, net weight and names and addresses of the producers or importers.“This is a source of information for consumers who will eat the products so they can prevent unwanted consequences. For example, if someone has an allergy to certain products and there is clear information on the composition, they can avoid those products,” said Ema Setyawati, the director of high risk and new technology food at BPOM.Ema also said BPOM found 1,152 illegal food products in an investigation last year, the majority of which were sold online.Topics :
“An extraordinary write-down of DKK 85m involving a pending arbitration case led to a loss of DKK 42m after tax for Bladt Industries. However, the Management is satisfied with progress due to its healthy core business, record-high order book and absence of accidents at work”, the company states. Bladt Industries has noted a loss of DKK 42 million (approximately € 5.6 million) in its full-year 2019 results, but at the same time the company also reported a record-high order book and workforce increase. Furthermore, 220 people joined Bladt’s workforce in 2019, bringing the company’s total to 495 permanent full-time employees at the end of the year. The company also added that, as a consequence of the reduced book equity caused by the write-down in 2019, the owners chose to invest and inject DKK 150 million of additional equity to bolster the company and support its continued growth plans. Still, the offshore wind foundation manufacturer said its revenue in 2019 rose by 49%, with more and larger projects, combined with deliveries of steel and components. The new CEO will be Anders Søe-Jensen, a former head of offshore activities at Vestas. Meanwhile, Bladt Industries’ CEO, Klaus Steen Mortensen, has decided to step down from his current position due to health reasons, and join the company’s board. Namely, the company registered an extraordinary write-down of DKK 85 million (approx. € 11.4 million) related to a pending arbitration case, which led to the loss in Bladt’s financial books. “A range of well-implemented projects, additional employees, a historically strong order book, zero accidents at work and strengthened competitiveness ensured that 2019 was a good year for Bladt Industries. And although the profit after tax ended at minus DKK 42m, one accounting write-down regarding a single project was the only obstacle to a positive bottom line”.
FaithLifestyle Pope Francis Says He May Only Have A Few Years Left To Live, And Will Consider Retirement by: – August 21, 2014 Tweet Share Sharing is caring! 277 Views no discussions Share Share 77-year-old Pope Francis is one of the hardest-working world leaders, rarely taking breaks or vacations despite a punishing schedule. It appears that this lifestyle could be taking its toll, as the pope told reporters during a press conference that he feels he may only have a few more years left to live.On his way back from a trip to Korea, Pope Francis told journalists aboard the papal plane that he is able to cope with his immense popularity because he knows that it will not last forever. In the full transcript provided by America Magazine, the pope said, “Interiorly, I try to think of my sins, my mistakes, so as not to think that I am somebody. Because I know this will last a short time, two or three years, and then to the house of the Father.”Though he has not previously spoken publicly about his long-term physical health, the Guardian reported that a Vatican source said that he has told those close to him that he may only have a few years left in his life.In response to a question about his busy schedule, the pope admitted that he has to be more careful about not becoming overworked.“Yes, it is true, I had to cancel [engagements],” Pope Francis said. “The day I should have gone to the Gemelli [hospital], up to 10 minutes before I was there, but I could not do it. It is true, they were seven very demanding days then, full of engagements. Now I have to be a little more prudent.”Pope Francis also addressed the prospect of his potential retirement, which could make him just the second pope to retire in over 600 years, following the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, now known as the Pope emeritus. Pope Francis said:I think that the emeritus pope is already an institution because our life gets longer and at a certain age there isn’t the capacity to govern well because the body gets tired, and maybe one’s health is good but there isn’t the capacity to carry forward all the problems of a government like that of the church. I think that Pope Benedict made this gesture of emeritus popes. May, as I said before, some theologian may say this is not right, but I think this way. The centuries will tell us if this so or not. Let’s see.But you could say to me, if you at some time felt you could not go forward, I would do the same! I would do the same. I would pray, but I would do the same. He [Benedict] opened a door that is institutional, not exceptional.This isn’t the first time that he has talked about retirement. In May, he said that he thinks that “Benedict XVI is not a unique case.”Despite these remarks, he’s certainly not ready to meet his maker yet. Pope Francis mentioned an interesting book he’d read with the title, Rejoice That You Are Neurotic, and said, “One of the neurosis is that I am too attached to life.”Huffington Post
The bushfires, which lasted from Septemberuntil torrential rains hit earlier this month, killed 33 people and a billionnative animals nationally and destroyed 2,500 homes and a wilderness area thesize of South Korea. Australian Prime Minister ScottMorrison, who thanked those who fought the blazes and honored those who died,spoke of “children kissing the coffins of their fathers” and “mothers whoshould have never had to bury their children.”(Reuters) The damage was most devastating in NewSouth Wales state. Among the 25 people killed there were 19 civilians, threelocal volunteer firefighters and three U.S. firefighters. MELBOURNE – Families, firefighters andpoliticians gathered in a solemn public ceremony in Sydney on Sunday to honorthe 25 people killed in recent bushfires that tore through the country’s mostpopulous state. New South Wales Rural Fire Service personnel attend a state memorial honouring victims of the Australian bushfires at Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, Feb. 23, 2020. REUTERS
A 5k race will be held to honor all service men and women on September 7.The Salute a Soldier 5K is hosted by the Sunman American Legion and will kick off the Sunman Wine and Fireworks Festival.The race is in memory of PFC Anthony Seig and all current and past military members who have fought, or are fighting for our freedom. Seig was killed in action on September 9, 2006.Patriotic events will occur throughout the race, including a 21-gun-salute prior to the start. During the 5K, the route will be lined with American flags, which can still be purchased for $10.00 to honor past and current military members. The Patriot Guard will also be at the finish line.The race starts and finishes at Legion Post #337, 412 Eastern Avenue. The race starts at 9:00 a.m. and check-in is at 7:45 a.m.Registration is $25 per runner or walker, which includes a t-shirt, or $20 without a t-shirt.Age groups for walkers range from 19 and under to 60 and above. Age groups for runners range from 8-70 and over.Awards will be presented to the overall top male and female runners and walkers, and the top three participants in each age category.Following the race, the public is invited to stay for food, drinks, entertainment and a tribute to Veterans at 11:30 a.m.Registration and additional information is available at www.stuartroadracing.com or www.seigandassociates.com